Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Oooh, we're halfway there.

Today, using some sketchy calculations involving my fingers, Excel, my cat's birthday, and Google, I realized that we have arrived at the halfway mark. Halfway between when we got here, and when we get to leave. Even though we have no idea where we're going, which is really fucking scary, to tell you the truth, I know we can't stay here. I just can't do it anymore.

It's not that lovely Lincoln, Nebraska is all that bad. It's not. It's just not where I want to be. I have discoved some things about it that are actually pretty cool...did you know that this is where Arbor Day was invented? Pretty cool to be able to plant a tree on Arbor Day right where it all got started. Ok, so I've had to sort of redefine what "cool" means of late, but that's kind of my point.

I am tired. Tired of the midwest, tired of cold, tired of Republicans. Tired of redefining. But mostly, I am tired of making the best of things. I don't want to have to scavenger hunt my way through a town and tell myself that things aren't as bad at they first seemed, that they do have good bbq and some Democrats, or that boring holidays that no one cares about were started here.

I am tired of trying to find something good in a place I don't like. I just want to be somewhere I like, and have the something good come easily.

Could someone in lovely Santa Monica, California please offer my husband a job? He's really good at, um, looking at mud? 'kay, great! Thanks!

No comments: