Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Butter Yuck

Last night for dinner I made butternut squash ravioli, from scratch. I was thrilled because it was my first attempt at making pasta dough by hand and it all worked out - I didn't use a pasta machine (which I don't have) and the raviolis didn't burst open in the water like I thought they would. However, I was unthrilled because it turns out I hate butternut squash ravioli...the filling tasted way too much like dessert. I don't think it was my recipe either, I think that the flavor of squash in pasta is just not for me. Yuck.
But now that I know how easy it is to make ravioli yourself I'm excited to try some other fillings - less disgusting ones, preferable. I was thinking maybe crab? Does anyone else have any other good ideas? Otherwise I shall throw myself on the mercy of the highest starred recipe on All Recipes. Will let you know how it goes.

PS For the pasta dough I just used a basic Ravioli Dough recipe from Epicurious.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed! I have done many things in my kitchen but making fresh pasta is not one of them. I have not dared to try (yet). I don't have a pasta machine anyway so I think ravioli would be the only thing I could make if I tried.

LME said...

Do you like mushrooms? I've had some very good wild mushroom ravioli in the past. Also spinach and ricotta.