Monday, September 03, 2007

She's An Extraordinary Girl

We ate pasta and shrimp on Saturday night.
We collected water and Gu and shoes and went to bed early.
We woke up at 5:15 on Sunday.
We loaded the jogging stroller in the car and bundled the baby up against the (very temporary) early morning chill. I tucked $5 into my shoe for an after run reward.

I did not run fast. I didn't break any records, mine included. I didn't even beat Mr. E and he was pushing a baby.

But I did it. I ran eight miles. Of course because I am a natural and constant self deprecater I was focused on how incredibly slow I was running and how some things were jiggling more than they used to and how I am 20 pounds heavier than the last time I trained for a run and then happened to look up and I noticed my shadow next to me, just bounding along. And all of a sudden I was beaming and I felt proud.

I am very very proud of myself. So never mind the rest of it. I ran eight miles!

5 comments:

Chris H said...

I wish I could run and like it, but I can't and don't... so you can do all of it for me! Go girl!!!!

Sun Runner said...

You guys rock. I ran seven on Saturday and it was one of those good runs that made me say, "I'm going to kick butt in the half marathon." No, scratch that- WE are going to kick butt. Six more weeks!!

Tricia said...

shit. be proud! be very proud...

While I sheepishly eat this cupcake.

Jennette Fulda said...

Hell yeah, eight miles is awesome! I ran four miles on Sunday and it's the farthest I've ever run in my life. Someday I hope to get up to eight too!

Binkytowne said...

You GO GIRL. Eight miles is awesome and absolutely somthing to be proud of. I feel like I could move a mountain after four. And did I read correctly that you did it first thing in the morning? Double good for you. Doesn't that feel awesome? To be done for the day?