Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Saved

So ya'll may have heard of this Dooce lady? Some of you? Maybe? (I kid).

Anyway, ages and ages ago I found her site and since the minute she described picking out her camera (the Nikon D70) because she wanted a camera that would take the picture when she pressed the button, I have craved that camera. For years now, before I had a kid, before I had a dog. I put it on my Amazon wish list in 2003 or something. (Shockingly no one bought it for me.)

Anyhoo. Heather has since moved on to bigger and better cameras and they don't make the D70 anymore but I continued to dream about a Nikon digital SLR and so for many many months I have been saving every dime that came my way. I did not buy clothes, I did not buy nail polish or fancy soap, I did not get my hair cut, I did not get pedicures, I did not buy books, I did not buy sports bras or music or underwear or the new martha stewart cupcake liners at Michaels (although I really really wanted those). I saved and I saved and I saved and yesterday I ordered my new camera and I cannot freaking wait till it gets here.

The other day I took down my dusty regular SLR that used to be my grandfathers and I showed Mr. E how to take a picture with it and I told him about how my father taught me to use it when I was ten or so and how much I loved taking pictures and my father loved taking pictures and my grandfather loved taking pictures and how everywhere we went, there we were, the three of us, always with our giant cameras hanging around our necks. I've been too long in the land of the teeny camera and the random snapshot and I am so excited to become someone who is excited about photography again.

Can't wait!

2 comments:

bazu said...

Congrats on the new camera! We have this in common- I too would love a digital SLR, I too have a hand-me-down SLR from the 60's that used to belong to my parents, and in happier days, they took lovely pictures of us and each other with it. Can't wait to see some of your new photos!

Jennette Fulda said...

I wish my camera took the picture when you pressed the button. The flash takes *forever* to warm up. I've recruited my mom to take a photo of me finishing my first 5K in two weeks, but I think I might end up recrossing the finish line as we wait for the camera to take the damn picture. Congrats on your camera!