Friday, September 15, 2006

The most important meal of the day is kicking my ass

I need breakfast ideas. If I don't eat just the right thing for breakfast, it makes me sick all day, and it's starting to really suck. I just want to sit down with a cup of tea and a stack of buttered toast, but if I don't eat protein with every meal, I get sick almost immediately afterwards. I also can't eat dairy, eggs, beans, or most lunchmeat, like ham or turkey, especially the smoked stuff, because all the sodium nitrite in it WRECKS my insides. I can only eat fish twice a week, because of the mercury content. I can't just drink my breakfast, like in smoothie form, because I'll get sick almost immediately afterwards, and soy milk by itself (like on cereal) just plain grosses me out. I'm left with peanut butter, pretty much, and I'm getting really sick of it. For awhile there I had resorted to ham and cheese lean pockets every morning but I feel like I really can't eat anymore of those. I miss my old stand bys of yogurt and oatmeal so much.
I'm thinking that I might try baking some muffins with protein powder added, but I can't find a definitive answer on whether baking destroys the protein in protein powder. I figure it can't hurt to give it a try. Or I can put the protein powder in some orange juice and have that with toast. Along with some more motherfucking peanut butter.

1 comment:

wife2abadge said...

There are other nut butters -- almond butter, cashew butter, macadamia nut butter -- try the health food store. Our grocery store has a nitrate-free kind of turkey and ham lunchmeat (and it's a national brand, not some off-the-wall name but I can't remember it). What about soy "meats"?

Seeds of Change makes some FABULOUS vegetarian frozen dinners (and I HATE frozen dinners)that have about 20 g of protein in them. Sometimes I eat one for breakfast.