Wednesday, March 16, 2005

In Memoriam

Last night Mr. E's dad called his cell phone a bunch of times, and when Mr. E finally answered, he got up and went in the other room. I could tell it was something bad but I wasn't sure what it was about. Then Mr. E came back in the room and told me that his little dog Kelly was no longer with us. Kelly is the dog Mr. E and his whole family grew up with, she was a complete and utter part of the family, and I think Mr. E loved her in a way that maybe even I can't understand. When he would go home to visit he would always say that he was really going home to visit his dogs, and you would see him and Kelly together and know that there was just something special going on there between those two.
After his dad called, Mr. E and I both sat and cried about Kelly. I couldn't believe how sad I was, but there was just something about Kelly. She was just a one of a kind dog. You get lucky if you have one dog like her in your lifetime. Now all other dogs will always be compared to Kelly and will probably never measure up. She was just the smartest, coolest, nicest dog. I could tell that and I don't even like dogs. Mr. E's dad said that he never thought he would do such a thing, but he paid an exhorbitant sum of money and got Kelly's ashes. He thought she deserved it. I thought that was pretty cool.

Then I started in about how Jack from Little House on the Prairie died and Laura asked Pa if Jack was in dog heaven and Pa said yes and he was up there chasing rabbits, we both said Kelly was up in heaven rolling around in a field of Snickers, and then I just sobbed and I had to stop talking about Jack because that just makes me cry like nothing else. And Erik told all his favorite Kelly stories, like the time she ate some chocolate mice his mom had made, with maraschino cherries and hershey's kisses, but Kelly didn't eat the cherries, she just licked those clean and spit them back out, and that was the part they found.

Anyway, then Mr. E played sad music and I think he felt better, but I don't know. We didn't have ice cream so I could not apply the full treatment.

I do think he felt also better because he held little Annabelle on his lap the whole time and he kept saying she could tell that he felt bad, but let's face it, I think we both know she's not the dog Kelly was. Although give her time, she is still just a little puppy. And if it were not for her I can guarantee you we would have some newborn puppy right now named Kelly 2, so for that I am grateful.

Here's to you Kells, you were some dog. I hope you are having fun up there with all those Snickers, but we miss you.

No comments: